New International Student Orientation
Travel and U.S. reentry Now that you’ve made your initial entry into the United
States on the F-1 or J-1 student visa Let’s talk about traveling
internationally and re-entering the U.S. Please note this video only addresses
travel while enrolled as a full-time student If you are watching this video
and you are currently on optional practical training, the stem extension
academic training or returning from a leave of absence please visit the
Bechtel International website for information about reentering the U.S. Additionally before traveling outside
the U.S. please visit the Bechtel International Center website for more
information Federal US travel policy is subject to sudden change and Bechtel
makes every effort to keep Stanford international students updated with the
most recent information available to us as well as provide students with the
resources and support services that we can offer While you are in the F-1 or J-1
status you are permitted to leave the U.S. and re-enter in F or J status as long as
you carry with you the required documentation at your port of entry If you intend to re-enter the U.S. to continue your full time course of
study at Stanford University you must always be admitted to the U.S. and F-1
status if you are using the F visa or J-1 status if you are using the J visa While you are on the F-1 or J-1 student status re-entering the U.S. on a tourist status
using B1 or B2 visa, visa waiver or ESTA or any other visa type will forfeit your
student status and the benefits that come with the student status To be readmitted to the U.S. as an F-1 or J-1 student you must present the
following documents at the port of entry Your passport which must be valid for at
least six months into the future at all times The u.s. allows citizens from some
countries to enter the U.S. until the expiration date of their passport Ifyour country has this agreement with the United States your country will appear
on a list The list is known as a 6-month Club and can be found on the Customs and
Border Protection website or by doing web search using the key term 6-month
Club You’ll also need a valid F-1 visa stamp or a valid J-1 visa stamp in your
passport unless you are a Canadian citizen Your most recent I-20 or DS-2019
immigration document with a travel signature The signature must be less
than one year old on the day you will reenter the U.S. On the I -20 the travel signature is
located near the bottom of the second page of the I-20 on the DS-2019 the
travel signature is in the bottom right corner of the first page You must plan
ahead to get your i-20 or ds-2019 signed by an international student advisor
before you leave the country As a precaution the Bechtel International
Center also recommends that you travel with copies of your financial documents
demonstrating proof of funding for your studies at Stanford along with your
transcripts Canadian citizens generally are not required to possess the visa
stamp to enter the U.S. and may enter the U.S. with a valid I-20 or DS-2019, proof of
Canadian citizenship, proof of an I-901 fee payment and financial documents
showing proof of funding and the amount reported on the I-20 or DS-2019 If you are traveling within the U.S. domestically we do advise that you still travel with
your passport I-20 or DS-2019 and a printout of your electronic I-94 record Dependents on the F-2 orJ-2 visa are required to travel with and re-enter
with similar documents to their husband or wife or parent whoever is the student If you are only traveling to Canada Mexico or an adjacent island to the
United States such as the Caribbean islands for a period of less than 30
days and have been maintaining lawful non-immigrant status in the U.S. you may
be eligible to re-enter the U.S. on the basis of an expired visa This process is called automatic visa revalidation Citizens of North Korea
Sudan, Syria and Iran as well as people who visited Cuba are not eligible for
automatic revalidation of an expired visa Otherwise if you travel outside the US. and your visa is expired you will need
to renew your visa from your home country before re-entering the U.S. More information can be found on our Bechtel international Center website as well as
the USCIS website

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *